Careers and Education
- Read the latest articles in Physics Today.
Physics Today’s Annual Careers & Recruitment Special Issue - Career advancement advice and real insights from those in the field.
Career Development Videos
Professional societies and you
- Take advantage of the member benefits and also volunteer for leadership positions, joining a society can help advance your career.
Stepping off the tenure track
- Pursuing a professorship doesn't have to be the default career choice. Learn how to decide if staying in academia is right for you.
When (and when not) to volunteer at work
- Evaluate extracurricular opportunities and make an informed decision about whether to accept or not.
A Whole New World: Preparing for Life After Academia
- Evaluate your personal values, skills, abilities, and knowledge to understand what sort of career will fulfill you professionally.
If You Lead, Will They Follow? Leadership Skills: A Critical Tool for Career Success
- Learn about various aspects of leadership, how they affect your career, and how to develop your own leadership skills.
Virtual Networking Webinar
- Reveal your ability to network virtually amid the COVID-19 crisis.
Going Virtual: The Interview and Job Talk
- Dive into leveraging virtual platforms to execute an interviewing plan that will help you land that dream job.
Career Planning in a Crisis: How to Move Your Career Forward
- Learn how to build and execute a strong, customized crisis management plan for your career.
Physics Career Profiles
Read detailed information about some of the most exciting available career paths in the science and engineering fields. Check out over 30 different subject profiles alongside job listings for each!
Additional Career Resources provided by the American Institute of Physics
Society of Physics Students
- A professional association explicitly designed for students and their advisers.
- Helping researchers advance their research and careers.
Statistical Research Center
- Your source for data on education, careers, and diversity in physics, astronomy and other physical sciences.
Physics Today has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.