New Orleans, Louisiana
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master's Degree or PhD in physics, engineering, a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of a specific area of science applicable to hydrodynamic testing.
- Experience performing hands-on experimental science in bench top and/or test facility environments and familiarity with experimentation requiring formal conduct of operations.
- Experience managing medium-size or larger technical projects.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging problems, and innovative skills to identify/develop creative solutions.
- Experience working effectively in independent and in a multi-disciplinary, team-based-research environment to achieve multi-year goals.
- Interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence necessary to work effectively with a wide range of personalities in both one-on-one and team environments.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to explain, negotiate and advise on experimental design including proficiency in standard office computing software.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
In addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of physics, engineering, mathematics, mechanical, aerospace or nuclear engineering or a related field.
- Significant experience and demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated record of completing and/or leading top-quality research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working around explosives and/or other high hazard materials or effects.
- Experience using computer aided design tools
- Experience managing other personnel in a team environment
- Experience diagnosing very fast transient phenomena
- Experience modeling transmission and effects of ionizing radiation.
- Experience with any of the following topics: dynamic radiography, high speed photography, Photonic Doppler Velocimetry, radiometry, pulsed power (flash lamps, fire sets), system generated EMP, grounding and shielding.
- Experience with scientific data analysis in mainstream programming languages or tools such as C++, Python, MATLAB, etc.
- Knowledge of the Strategic Deterrence weapons program and/or explosive hydrodynamic experimentation
Physics Today has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.