New Orleans, Louisiana
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Hydrodynamics, Shock Physics, Condensed Matter or related field or discipline, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge independently designing, executing, and analyzing complex experiments in the areas of shock physics, equations of state, constitutive material properties, or hydrodynamics.
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge developing analysis methods supporting hydrodynamic wave profile experiments.
- Experience with dynamic velocimetry or imaging techniques.
- Advanced analytical skills necessary to solve complex problems and make decisions.
- Experience working independently, as well as in a team, with minimal direction.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced knowledge and subject matter expertise in shock physics, material behavior at high pressure and high energy density,
- Substantial experience leading interdisciplinary teams, especially those developing new experimental and analytical platforms or diagnostics for dynamic studies
- Substantial experience developing and using hydrodynamic simulations to design and interpret high pressure science experiments
- Significant experience developing and leading new research projects
- Expert ability to interact with program leads and sponsors as trusted Subject Matter Expert and key contributor
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience designing, executing, and analyzing experiments on dynamic compression platforms, especially at major facilities
- Experience with pyrometry, x-ray and optical imaging, and related techniques.
- Experience handling hazardous materials and designing experiments around constraints therein.
- Experience with heterogenous materials
Physics Today has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.