Brookings, South Dakota
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- M.S. in Applied Science, Physics, Materials Science, Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of analytical techniques of chemistry, material science, impulse and mechanical movements, equation of state using gas guns, and x-ray and neutron sources.
- Broad experience conducting experiments in highly controlled environments such as at nuclear reactors or NIF, including familiarity with meeting, documenting, and operating within the associated safety and regulatory requirements, and to include cooperating with a variety of involved parties.
- Comprehensive knowledge of designing and executing experiments including the ability to support the design and fabrication of experimental platforms and diagnostic hardware.
- Broad experience working with Monte Carlo and/or deterministic radiation transport codes such as MCNP and Geant4 and/or willingness to learn new modeling frameworks.
- Comprehensive knowledge of or experience working with finite element analysis (FEA) codes such as Abaqus or Dyna etc.
- Comprehensive knowledge of physics, nuclear science, and materials including radiation interactions with matter, neutronics, radiochemistry, nuclear materials, and related topics.
- Broad experience authoring technical and scientific reports and publications and delivering scientific presentations.
- Communication skills and breadth of knowledge/skills to contribute to interdisciplinary teams executing complex activities.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- PhD in a physical science, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience working with neutron, optical, x-ray, and/or shock diagnostics and/or fielding such diagnostics in high radiation environments.
- Significant experience designing and executing experiments in highly regulated nuclear environments, including the capability to mentor others in this activity.
- Significant experience leading a multi-disciplinary team to solve problems on a timeline.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with radiation effects testing of strategic systems.
- Experience in working on a tight timeline and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience within the NNSA, such as headquarters or other laboratories
- Desire to work on national security programs.
Physics Today has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.