- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Master's Degree in physics, engineering, a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Advanced knowledge of a specific area of science applicable to hydrodynamic testing
- Experience performing hands-on experimental science in bench top and/or test facility environments and familiarity with experimentation requiring formal conduct of operations.
- Experience managing medium technical project
- Self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging problems, and innovative ability to identify/develop creative solutions.
- Significant experience completing and/or leading top-quality research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence necessary to work effectively with a wide range of personalities in both one-on-one and team environments.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to collaborate, present, and explain on experimental design including proficiency in standard office computing software.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- PhD in physics, engineering, a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Subject matter expertise in one or more specific areas of science applicable to hydrodynamic testing
- Significant experience leading a large, multi-organizational technical projects
- Ability to lead and mentor others in part of a multidisciplinary team
- Substantial experience presenting and disseminating highly advanced research results at scientific conferences and peer-reviewed publications, in open and classified environments, internal and external to LLNL. Substantial experience communicating results of work with external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working around explosives and/or with other high hazard materials or effects.
- Experience using computer aided design tools
- Experience with one or more of the following topics: dynamic radiography, high speed photography, Photonic Doppler Velocimetry, radiometry, pulsed power (flash lamps, fire sets), system generated EMP, grounding and shielding, modeling transmission and effects of ionizing radiation.
- Experience with scientific data analysis in mainstream programming languages or tools such as C++, Python, MATLAB, etc.
- Knowledge of the WCI weapons program and/or explosive hydrodynamic experimentation
Physics Today has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.