Biological Sciences, Engineering and Technology: Biomedical, Physics: Acoustics
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is proud to announce the Summer Undergraduate Research & Internship Experience in Acoustics (SURIEA) program, a new opportunity for undergraduate students of color to participate in acoustics research.
SURIEA is a 12-week paid summer undergraduate research program for Black/African American, American Indian, Pueblos y Grupos Indígenas, Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino/a students interested in the area of acoustics. The goal of the program is to train, mentor, and prepare students for graduate studies and careers in acoustics. Training sites will include both research and industry laboratories. In addition, students will receive support to attend the two upcoming ASA meetings, one of which is the June virtual meeting, Acoustics in Focus.
SURIEA PROGRAM DETAILS
- Two-week acoustic fundamentals short course
- Ten weeks of hands-on research or internship experience, working closely with a mentor in acoustics
- Research site will depend on mentor match, could be anywhere in the US
- $7,500 stipend, paid out in two lump sums (late May and July)
- Cohort training and most of the research and internship experiences will be conducted virtually during Summer 2021, so participants will connect remotely
- Assistance with remote connection can be provided if needed
- Program will emphasize training, mentoring, research, and preparing students for graduate studies & careers in acoustics
- Cohort participants will meet as a group periodically throughout the 12-week program to develop and refine professional skills, practice science/technical oral and written communication, build support networks and more
- Meeting registration fees covered for Acoustics in Focus (AiF), taking place 8-10 June 2021 online, including the Seattle meeting on December 2021
- Travel/fees provided by the SURIEA program
Review of applications will begin on March 5, 2021
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all slots are filled
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student in a 2- or 4-year institution, including community and tribal colleges
- Applicant’s race/ethnicity should be one of the following underrepresented groups: Black/African American, Pacific Islander, American Indian, Pueblos y Grupos Indígenas, Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino/a
- Interested in acoustics
ASA is actively recruiting mentors for the SURIEA program. This initiative is part of the Society’s emphasis to proactively increase racial diversity, belonging and inclusivity at ASA. The goal is to recruit diverse mentors representing our broad acoustics careers in industry and scientific labs in academics and government. SURIEA will provide mentors and mentees a series of workshops to support effective mentoring of students from underrepresented groups to foster a positive experience that increases the students capacity to conduct high-quality research. If you are interested in hosting a student this summer and providing continued contact in the future, please fill out the mentor application. We are asking all interested mentors to complete the application online form by February 26, 2021.
OVERVIEW SURIEA INFORMATION
The overview of the program and application can be found on the SURIEA website. If you have questions please reach out!
Telecommuting is allowed.
About Acoustical Society of America
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is the premier international scientific society in acoustics devoted to the science and technology of sound. Its 7,000 members worldwide represent a broad spectrum of the study of acoustics. ASA publications include The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (the world’s leading journal on acoustics), Acoustics Today magazine, books, and standards on acoustics. The society also holds two major scientific meetings each year.
BACK TO TOP
Physics Today Jobs has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.