CUNY 2x Tech is a $20M Mayoral initiative to double the number of tech bachelors awarded by public colleges by 2022. It entails a comprehensive investment in the instruction, advising, and experience that is essential to prepare New Yorkers for 21st-century tech jobs in NYC. All CUNY 2x Tech faculty and staff members will play a critical role in ensuring that the college’s tech education is aligned with industry demand. The role will involve significant work directly with NYC-based industry partners and the NYC Tech Talent Pipeline to review curricula, provide feedback on students’ job-readiness, teach in the classroom, and ensure that overall tech education provided by the college is preparing students with the academic and career readiness skills they need to succeed.
The Department of Computer Science at Brooklyn College seeks an Academic Advisor to align, accomplish, and extend the mission of CUNY 2x Tech. The Academic Advisor will report to the Department Chair of Computer Science. In addition to the duties within CUNY Title Overview, the Academic Advisor responsibilities, include but are not limited to:
- Provide mandated academic/career advisement and registration assistance for declared majors in the Department of Computer Science.
- Support students' persistence in tech majors and expand student exposure to tech careers and the courses needed to prepare for them.
- Help students plan for internships and other opportunities to build their experience in and exposure to tech workplaces.
- Promote connection of students to supportive services, such as tutoring, career services, or other campus resources, to increase persistence in the major.
- Collaborate with the department about new courses in the major, gather insights from employers that may influence curricula and individual students as needed.
- Perform graduation check for departing undergraduate and graduate students.
- Serve as a resource for staff and faculty on student advisement issues.
- Work with students to determine and address academic stops and other advisement needs; Schedule on-demand registration appointments.
- Assist Computer Science students to stay on track and participate in relevant CUNY 2x Tech-related programs.
- Maintain database of students within assigned advising cohort.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Demonstrated academic and career advising skills
- An understanding of tech industry and its relationship to higher education
- Experience working with students and faculty
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience or Ability to quickly learn appropriate modules in the CUNYfirst system.
- Excellent customer service and communications skills
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends required
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advisor
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$39,282 - $62,949; Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
Please submit your application online by clicking on “Apply Now” below. In order to be considered, applicants must upload a cover letter (referenced Job ID # 21225), current resume, and contact information (name, phone number, and email address) for three references in doc or pdf format.
December 2, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Physics Today Jobs has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.