We are looking for an R&D Associate in the Quantum Heterostructures Group. In this role, you will conduct research on quantum information science with focuses on topological quantum materials and correlated materials to lead ORNL’s ongoing efforts in quantum materials for emerging information and energy technologies. You will lead research efforts on spin- and angle-resolved photo-emission spectroscopy (spin-APRES) and will have access to a new unique modular synthesis and in-situ characterization system, combining ultrahigh vacuum deposition and spectroscopy system combining molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), pulsed laser deposition (PLD), scanning tunneling microscopy (STM), dynamic X-ray photoemission spectroscopy (XPS), and state-of-the-art spin-APRES. This position resides in the Quantum Heterostructures Group, Materials Science and Technology (MST) Division, Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
• Maintain and perform research mainly with ARPES
• Utilize a modular system combining synthesis and real time characterization with PLD, MBE, XPS, STM, and ARPES
• Participate in proposal writing, including user proposals to gain access to DOE-funded user facilities
• Deliver science to DOE funded programs
• Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely fashion
• Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
• Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
• Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivity
• A PhD in condensed matter physics, materials science, or a closely related science discipline
• Experience with electron spectroscopy
• Experience and track record in the physics of correlated oxides or topological materials
• Experience in ARPES
• A strong record of productive and creative research proven by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at major conferences
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to an international scientific audience
• Ability to work with a measure of autonomy, but also in a team environment to interact effectively with your colleagues, develop new collaborations to improve scientific understanding, and accept flexibility in research assignments
• Familiarity with numerical data analysis and customization of control software (Labview)
• Experience with the use and data analysis of x-ray diffraction (XRD), physical property measurement system (PPMS), superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID), scanning probes, soft x-rays, and/or neutron scattering
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities. Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Internal Number: 688
About Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the US Department of Energy's largest multi-program science and energy laboratory, with scientific and technical capabilities spanning the continuum from basic to applied research. Located in the city of Oak Ridge, ORNL is in the eastern part of Tennessee in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Number of employees:
Research, Materials Science, Science/Engineering
Physics Today Jobs has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.