Astronomy and Space Science, Earth and Environmental Sciences: Atmospheric Sciences, Earth and Environmental Sciences: Geoscience
Senior Scientist, Chemistry and Material
The Space Dynamics Laboratory in Logan, UT is seeking a senior scientist with expertise in analytical/physical chemistry and applied material science to support space-based sensor and satellite development programs.
· Applying analytical chemistry methods to verify aerospace hardware cleanliness
· Identifying potential contamination sources and risks
· Developing and executing processes applicable to controlling and understanding space-qualified metallic and nonmetallic material performance
· Applying principles of vacuum science and technology to optimize the performance of space simulation and cryo-vacuum test chambers used for pre-launch testing of space instrumentation
· Supporting material processes used for high temperature annealing, mechanical stabilization, and/or artificial aging of high performance metal components
· Working with chemical treatments used to passivate metal surfaces or promote bond adhesion
· M.S. in chemistry or closely related discipline
· Ten years of direct contamination control experience in spacecraft technology or space science engineering, or a relevant PhD with applicable research experience in:
o gas-surface interactions
o chemical spectroscopy analysis methods
o molecular transport modeling or simulation techniques.
· Must have or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance
· Must be a US citizen
· Must be able to travel
· Experience with cryogenic instrumentation, high vacuum technology, mass spectrometry, and materials analysis
· Flexibility to work on a variety of assignments ranging from routine laboratory operations or engineering support, to focused research.
About SDL: SDL, a nonprofit unit of the Utah State University Research Foundation, has been solving the technical challenges faced by the military, science community, and industry since 1959. SDL offers flexible work schedules and competitive salaries and benefits. As a University Affiliated Research Center (UARC), SDL also offers unique benefits, such as company contribution of 14.2% of annual gross earnings for retirement for exempt staff and discounted USU tuition of 50% for employees and dependents.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is commensurate with experience.
About Space Dynamics Laboratory
Space Dynamics Laboratory
As a nonprofit unit of the Utah State University Research Foundation, SDL has been solving the technical challenges faced by the military, science community, and industry since 1959.
SDL works with the Department of Defense and industry in defending and protecting our nation as well as supporting NASA’s vision to “reveal the unknown for the benefit of humankind.”
SDL’s solutions include improved data gathering and analysis tools for all branches of the military and powerful remote and in situ sensing solutions—with an emphasis in electro-optical sensing in the near UV to far IR.
The Research Foundation provides a full range of benefits for you and your eligible family members. The Research Foundation's benefits are designed to keep pace with your lifestyle and to meet your personal needs for financial and health protection.
The Research Foundation's comprehensive benefits package includes 12 paid holidays, generous paid vacation, employer-paid health premiums and an employer contribution of an additional 14.2% of employee annual gross earnings toward retirement plans.
Health & Dental
Sickness & ...Disability
Vacation & Holidays
The benefits outlined here are based upon your eligibility according to the terms of your appointment and the assumption that you have enrolled in the applicable programs. Specific technical interpretation of these benefits is available in the various legal documents providing coverage. Several programs require premium sharing on the part of the employee.