Physics: Instrumentation and Measurement, Physics: Optics and Laser, Physics: Spectroscopy
RIKEN invites applications for the position of group director (indefinite-term researcher in management position) who will oversee and develop synchrotron radiation (SR) instrumentation for physics and chemistry research using SPring-8 facilities.
1. Number of openings One
2. Research area Synchrotron radiation instrumentation for physics and chemistry applications
3. Qualifications Applicants should have appropriate research experience supported by a distinguished research record and the ability to play a pivotal role in the research area. RIKEN welcomes applications from overseas candidates.
4. Type of employment and work location Full time, indefinite-term employment position, subject to RIKEN's mandatory retirement age of 60. There is a re-employment program to hire individuals as fixed-term employees from age 60 to age 65. Depending on evaluation results, it is possible to continue research in a management position until age 65 as a fixed-term employee. Work location will be Sayo-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo, Japan.
5. Rights and responsibility (1) Required to participate in RIKEN management activities in addition to conducting research in the area described above as a laboratory head. (2) Eligible to apply for competitive funding within and outside of RIKEN. (3) Eligible to request allocation of indefinite-term researchers. (4) Eligible to hire fixed-term researchers as well as to host Special Postdoctoral Researchers and Junior Research Associates. (5) Eligible for purchasing of commodities and requesting laboratory space. (6) Responsible for overseeing laboratory members, managing the laboratory budget and handling the maintenance and use of all laboratory equipment and instruments.
6. Remuneration Monthly salary will be paid based on an annual salary. Social health insurance, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai). Days off are weekends, public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec 29 -Jan 3) and RIKEN Foundation Day. These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
7. Starting date of employment RIKEN expects the successful applicant to take up this position at the earliest opportunity on or after October 1, 2018.
RIKEN is Japan’s largest and most comprehensive research organization for basic and applied science and a world leader in a diverse array of scientific disciplines.
For nearly a century since its foundation in 1917, RIKEN has fostered pioneering, innovative research in fields spanning the entire range of the natural sciences, from developmental biology and neuroscience to quantum physics and computer science.