The European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH (European XFEL GmbH) is a multi-national non-profit company. It will make available X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. Located in the Hamburg area, Germany, it will comprise scientific instruments for a wide range of experimental techniques. Construction of the European XFEL is underway, user operation starts in 2017.
The Single Particles, Clusters and Biomolecules and Serial femtosecond crystallography (SPB/SFX) group of the European XFEL Facility is developing and constructing one of six scientific instruments. We are looking for up to three
Postdoctoral researchers for coherent x-ray imaging and/or serial crystallography (f/m)
- perform and report research in method development or application of coherent x-ray diffractive imaging (CXDI) or serial crystallography using highly coherent, facility based x-ray sources
- contribute to the development and commissioning of the SPB/SFX instrument
- operate the instrumentation, including supporting user groups
- potentially contribute to "pump-probe" experiments using optical lasers in conjunction with the XFEL
- PhD in experimental physics, coherent optics, laser physics, x-ray imaging, crystallography or a related discipline
- sound knowledge of coherent x-ray diffraction, crystallography and/or other techniques in coherent optics and associated instrumentation
- ability to conduct independent research while also contributing to ongoing team projects
- highly developed communication skills and willingness to work in a diverse team of international scientists, engineers and technicians
Experience working at a free electron laser facility, a synchrotron or another major research facility will be considered an asset. A sound knowledge of measurement of pulsed light sources, femtosecond lasers, related timing electronics and associated instrumentation will be an advantage.
One position will concern laser optics and pump-probe experiments, one will address coherent diffractive imaging applications and another serial crystallography.
For additional information please contact Adrian Mancuso (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area.
General information on working in Germany, Hamburg and the European XFEL can be found here.
Reference number: S-162
Duration: This appointment is limited to 3 years. An extension is possible.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset.
Application: Please apply here provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Deadline: February 7th 2017