Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
Sandia National Laboratories is searching for Cybersecurity professionals to join the Cyber Analysis R&D Solutions Department team located in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
These positions are full-time career opportunities and will require that the selected individuals have the ability to obtain and maintain a DOE-granted “Q-level” security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship. A security clearance is not required to start.
The Cyber Analysis R&D Solutions Department carries out work to support the various cyber missions across the Labs. The organization focuses on cyber surety and assessment of new technologies relating to information technology including software systems, computing systems, networks, and architectures of such systems. Topical areas include information assurance, digital forensics, cryptography, cognitive systems, control systems analysis, reverse engineering, secure architecture design, and network analysis.
Candidates selected in is role will perform science-based research in security-related areas to support foundational improvements in the security of custom software for critical applications. Transitions research results into tools and processes for use within the software engineering life-cycle.
- Applies integrated technical judgment which requires using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, to collect data through observation and experimentation, and to formulate and test hypotheses to anticipate, innovate, and deliver solutions to Sandia National Laboratories missions.
- Roots the work in the fundamentals of science and engineering while applying a deep understanding of engineering and scientific principles.
- Creates and applies scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems.
- Uses physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as inherent activities of development.
- Plans, conducts, and executes Sandia's science and engineering programs within the spectrum of fundamental research, development, or demonstration.
- Conducts research in cybersecurity technologies to discover and test innovative methods of securing the cyber environment. Research areas include encryption, authentication, identity and access management, reverse engineering, vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, and intrusion detection.
- Defines security objectives and system-level performance requirements.
- Develops acceptance criteria for cybersecurity architecture. Determines principles involved and most efficient methodology for conducting cyber forensics, intrusion detection, reverse engineering, and incident response and remediation.
- Uses a multidisciplinary engineering approach to model interfaces, interactions between all components required for a strong cyber environment that can withstand multipronged, highly sophisticated attacks.
- Consults on implementation of cybersecurity methodologies and architectures.
Primary Job Duties
- Plans, conceives, conducts, or manages research and development for Sandia's customers and sponsors.
- Directs systematic study toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts, and discovers new approaches to achieve goals.
- Creates new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method's hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
- Initiates, designs, develops, executes, and evaluates new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
- Uses engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions.
- Undertakes development and possible technology transfer of solutions, products, principles or technology.
- Undertakes creative work, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation, to discover or revise knowledge of reality, and uses this knowledge to devise new applications.